Anthony Meehan Genova is a tenacious family, civil and criminal litigation lawyer with significant jury trial experience in both Federal and State Courts.
Anthony Meehan Genova was born in Oyster Bay, New York. Anthony graduated from the State University of New York at Albany in 1983.
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI SCHOOL OF LAW
Anthony was given a scholarship to the prestigious University of Miami School of Law where he was a moot court finalist and received an award of Distinction from the Society of Wig and Robe. Anthony Meehan Genova graduated from UM in 1986. Anthony Meehan Genova was originally admitted to the Florida State Bar and the U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of Florida in 1987.
In December, 1987, Anthony had his first trial experience: a first degree murder trial that he participated in as a “second chair.” In 1989 Anthony represented a different client in a first degree murder trial wherein he had his first verdict in a first degree murder case practicing on his own. In 1990, Anthony tried his first federal case: he represented the main figure in a massive federal cocaine distribution case in Georgia in which almost a ton of cocaine was seized. Since that time, he has enjoyed handling numerous cases throughout the years in both State and Federal court. For over a decade, Anthony Meehan Genova focused primarily on the defense of individuals charged with violent crimes whose penalty was death or life in prison.
He is dedicated to protecting clients against constitutional violations and to ensuring that every defendant is afforded an effective defense against the Government. He also combines his trial skills with experienced investigators and an endless supply of experts. When you are faced with criminal charges, your freedoms and security are at risk. We offer reliable and effective defense to protect your rights, your reputation, and your future.
After hundreds of trials and numerous acquittals, Anthony had a life changing experience. December 21, 2001 he gave his will and his life to Jesus Christ. Since that moment, he has been active in his Christian faith. He has been a single father since 2003 until Valentine’s Day 2010 when he was remarried to an incredible woman of Faith, Jeannette– the love of his life! Anthony is an Elder and Board member of Central Christian Church in Coral Gables, FL.
Since becoming a Christian and raising a son on his own, Anthony Meehan Genova’s heart led him to shift his practice focus from criminal defense to family law with an eye towards getting families through difficult times of divorce and separation without domestic violence or substance abuse and with a minimal negative impact on the affected children.
In addition to his legal practice, Anthony is very active in his community; Anthony is a former Deacon and since 2006 an Elder at Central Christian Church in Coral Gables, Florida. He preaches each year and delivers the Liturgy every third Sunday. Anthony has been teaching the adult Sunday School J.O.Y. (Jesus Others Yourself) Class since 2003. He has also been a reading volunteer at Coral Gables Elementary School from 2004 through 2010. Anthony Meehan Genova was a Big Brother for “Big Brothers and Sisters of Greater Miami” from 2007-2010.
In addition to his legal practice, Anthony is very active in addiction recovery. He has been the Celebrate Recovery leader for a Christ-centered addiction recovery assistance program at Central Christian Church in Coral Gables, Florida since establishing that program in 2005. He is a Guardian and monthly speaker at St. Luke’s Addiction Recovery Center in North Miami, Florida since 2003, as well as a Monitor for Florida Lawyers Assistance, Inc. since 2004, helping attorneys and law students with maintaining and documenting their recovery.
- Florida Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Family Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Trial Lawyers Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Criminal Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Family Law Guardian Ad Litem, Since 2016
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- The First Family Law American Inns of Court, Since 2015
- Certified Member, 2017 Lawyers of Distinction
- Attorney Breakfast Club 2015-2016
- Committee Member, Eleventh Circuit Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee “P.
- Executive Council Member, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2016 -2020
- Ad Hoc Constitutional Revision Committee Member, 2017-2018
- Vice Chair, Domestic Violence Committee, 2017 - 2018
- Co-Vice Chair, Children's Issues Committee, 2017-2018
- Equitable Distribution Committee Member, 2017 - 2018
- Support Issues Committee Member, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2014 - 2018
- Chair, Membership Committee, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2016 -2017
- Co-Vice Chair, Membership Committee, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2015 - 2016
- Co-Vice Chair, Rules and Forms Committee, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2016 - 2017
- Co-Vice Chair, Domestic Violence Committee, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2014 - 2017
- Secretary, Rules and Forms Committee, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2014 - 2015
- Children's Issues Committee Member, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2014 - 2017
- Litigation Support Committee Member, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2014 - 2017
- Technology Committee Member, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2014 - 2015
- Domestic Violence Committee Member, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2011 - 2013
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Lawyers to the Rescue, Director Since 2016
- Florida Lawyers Assistance, Inc., Monitor Since 2004
- Put Something Back, Volunteer Since 2012
- Prayer Pillow Ministries, Inc, Board Member
- Volunteer, Coral Gables Elementary School, 2004 - 2010
- Elder and Sunday School Teacher at Central Christian Church in Coral Gables, Florida, Since 2006
- Big Brother, Big Brothers and Sisters of Greater Miami, 2007
- Celebrate Recovery Leader, Christ-Centered Addiction Recovery Assistance Program at Central Christian Church in Coral Gables, Florida, 2005
- Guardian and Monthly Speaker, St. Luke’s Addiction Recovery Center in North Miami, Florida, Since 2003
- Lawyers for Children American Volunteer, Since 2014
- Volunteer, Cleveland Clinic, Florida's High Tea and Art Program - WIN Program for Cancer Patients and their Families.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Certified Member, 2017 Lawyers of Distinction
- Moot Court Finalist University of Miami School of Law